Type: Refurbishment/New Build
This new extension for St Matthew’s C of E Primary School in Wigton, Cumbria forms part of a safeguarding project at the school to relocate the existing main entrance and reception to the front of the school building to create a new secure main entrance lobby area & office. Funding for this project was secured by Cowan & Co through a successful LCVAP bid to the Local Authority.
The original school building dates back to 1858 and careful consideration had to be taken as to the design of the new extension to ensure it complimented the existing building and the surrounding conservation area. The traditional form of the extension mirrors the existing adjacent porch, the use of glazing, however, creates a contemporary appearance. The overall affect creates a light and airy entrance area for visitors to the school whilst most importantly giving the school greater control in relation to the movement of visitors around the building.